Lync 2013 frontend wont start because of corrupt SQL 2012 database installation SOLVED!

Recently a customer had an issue with a Lync 2013 frontend server.
This is a standard edition 2013 frontend server with co-located mediation server.
The sever had been online for several weeks with no issues.

The first reports where that they could no log on to Lync clients and Lync meetings did not work.



First I checked for stopped services and almost all of them where stopped.
I tried to restart the services with stop-cswindowsservice and start-cswindowsservice but this failed with a lot of errors in the event viewer. Most of them reported that the frontend could not reach the rtc and rtclocal databases.
I checked that they both where running and they both appeared OK.
But when trying to access the databases by SQL manager they both failed.

I then ran a repair om both databases and they now seemed OK.
I rebooted the server and now all of the services started except the frontend service.
After a closer viewer in the event viewer I found some errors relating to certificate issues.
I found a support article from MS describing the same issue: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2795828

I ran the powershell command and located two certificates in the wrong store.
After moving both of them i rebooted the server and now every Lync service started

But what caused this I'm still not sure of. I've never experienced any issued with the local sql databases before.

I ran through the server setup and discovered that automatic updates where set to ON.
I the checked for recent updates.
Some weeks before the incident a lot of server and Lync updates was installed and my suspicion is to the SQL 2012 servicepack 2 that was also installed.
The event viewer showed that just before the first errors where reported the server was rebooted by some automatic routines.
So my suspicion is that after the restart something with the SQL 2012 SP2 has corrupted the database installation somehow. (KB2958429)

Errors ID's in the eventviewer: 1011, 3033, 3015, 14610, 33005, 61031, 41038

Comments

Popular Posts